Descendants of John CRERAR
Table of Contents
First Update for 2021
This section includes known descendants of the early Crerars from Blair Atholl, concentrating on the branch of the family who remained in Scotland, with the exception that certain details of living people are omitted and the youngest generations of children are not listed at all.
- Although no major changes since the previous update, some corrections and additions have been made using DNA matching
- In the previous update, new sources had become available including General Record Office of England and Wales birth index with mother's maiden surname and full given names of the child prior to 1916. Also ScotlandsPeople now gives free access to indexes which has allowed years of birth marriage and death to be found in Scotland. Finally the Wills and Probate index for Victoria, Australia is available.
- In the previous update the opportunity was taken to include information from the 1939 Register in England and Wales. This is similar to a census and includes full dates of birth and occupations of those recorded.
- Additional minor alterations and corrections have been applied during the past year. As more newspaper archives, census records and BMD records become available, the information is used to confirm or add to the website
- Although mentioned previously in the 2012 update, it is worth bringing this correction to your notice again. With the help of Margaret Convery a descendant of this branch of the tree, we have established that Charlotte Crerar who married John Laird in 1804, was the daughter of Peter Crerar and Elizabeth Ferguson. Previously this Charlotte was thought to be the daughter of Peter's brother John Crerar and Annie Stewart. Additional information is now available on the descendants of John Laird and Charlotte Crerar
- the addition of the descendants of Emily Crerar have been provided by Lynne Reed
- records from Jamaica for the birth of the children of John Crerar and Frances Sylvester have been found
I would like to acknowledge the help of David Crerar in Canada for providing the early data in "The Crerars of Blair Atholl and Dunkeld" and Thomas Crerar in Germany for additional information on his branch of the tree and John Crerar in Australia for more on the Australian branch of the Crerar. Alison Currie, Jeanette Henderson and Georgina Lee for more descendants of Charlotte Crerar and John Laird. Margaret Convery for helping to resolve the correct birth of Charlotte Crerar and for additional information on the family of Charlotte Crerar and John Laird. Lynne Reed for providing the family of Emily Crerar. Frances Metcalfe for additional descendants of Colin Fletcher and Agnes Crerar. Nick Dandeker for additional descendants of Margaret Somerville Todd Crerar and Thomas Trick. Susan Kidd for the Kidd line and Jessica Meyer for information on Crerar in South Africa.
While I and the above researchers have verified some of the information from original Parish Records and Statutory Registers in Scotland and censuses in UK and overseas, other data has been gathered from various sources and so it is recommended you obtain verification independently for data that is vital to your research. Please contact me if you want to know the source of any data.
This section last updated by Ian A Glendinning on 08 February 2021 using Personal Ancestral File