Descendants of John DOUGLAS and Christian NICOL
Table of Contents
- Surname List
- Name Index
- Other Descendancy Trees
- Ancestry Home Page
- Whole Site Home Page
Second Update for 2017
This section includes all known descendants of John Douglas and Christian Nicol with the exception that certain details of living people are omitted and the youngest generations of children are not listed at all.
- Since the last update a hand-drawn tree made in 1904 by Helen Douglas Scott consisting of over 600 people has been received from Peter Hastings along with work he has done to expand on this. The tree starts at James Laidlaw and Margaret Scott and their descendants. Their son William Laidlaw b Aug 1768 married Helen Douglas 1775-1847 and although quite a lot had previously been shown of their descendants, this new information has added to this part of the Douglas tree.
- In the previous update, new sources had become available including General Record Office of England and Wales birth index with mother's maiden surname and full given names of the child prior to 1916. Also ScotlandsPeople now gives free access to indexes which has allowed years of birth marriage and death to be found in Scotland. Finally the Wills and Probate index for Victoria, Australia is available.
- In the previous update the opportunity was taken to include information from the 1939 Register in England and Wales. This is similar to a census and includes full dates of birth and occupations of those recorded.
- The first update in 2016 published in March expanded on the a major update made in 2015 on the family of Mary Elliot the daughter of Ninian Elliot and Janet Douglas. Mary Elliot born 8 Mar 1772 married William Glendinning son of Adam Glendinning and Agnes Crozier. These Glendinning stradled the borders of Scotland and England appearing in Castleton, Roxburghshire and Falstone and Bellingham in Northumberland, England. I again thank Dane Jardine for starting me on this research into the records of this Glendinning line. I have been unable to connect them to my direct Glendinning line, but further research may link them back a few generations
- As previously mentioned additional information has been added on the descendants of Andrew Wemyss Ritchie and Mary Douglas Fairley
- The new line which was added to the tree in the 2014 update has been refined. I am fairly confident that the Helen Douglas who married William Laidlaw is the daughter of James Douglas and Christian Scott. While this is still not completely proven, all the evidence and childrens naming suggests it is correct. I would like to thank Katharine E and her WikiTree and others who have contributed there for much of the background to this Laidlaw family line which is expanded upon here. Thanks again to Peter Hastings for more on this branch as mentioned in the top note above.
- Some additional information is now shown for the family of Walter Douglas b 1822 who lived and worked in Cuba in partnership with his twin brother John who was in Mobile, Alabama. The starting point for this was with the help of Helene Boissy d'Anglas in France and is an ongoing project. Although it is difficult to obtain accurate records of births, marriages and deaths from Cuba, other sources like passenger lists and court papers have helped to fill in the details.
- As well as the two major lines mentioned above a small number of new people have been added since the previous update. There are some additional details of the people previously shown on this tree, including more information from later censuses
In addition to the above, I would like to acknowledge the help of Heather Brewster for Cavers descendants and Barb Way for Fairley descendants, amongst others who have pointed me in the right direction
While I and the above researchers have verified some of the information from original Parish Records and Statutory Registers in Scotland and censuses in UK and overseas, other data has been gathered from various sources and so it is recommended you obtain verification independently for data that is vital to your research
This section last updated by Ian A Glendinning on 14 September 2017 using Personal Ancestral File