- Surname List
- Name Index
- Transcribed death records Castleton Eskdalemuir Langholm and Others
- Other Descendancy Trees
- Ancestry Home Page
- Whole Site Home Page
First Update for 2021
This section includes all known descendants of James Glendinning and Agnes Little. The only exceptions are that certain details of living people are omitted and the youngest generations of children are not listed at all.
- During 2019 and 2020 some additional lines have been added using DNA matches to find them intially, then confirm the lines with records. These include MacGilvray descendants of Duncan MacGilvray and Annie Jackson, Annie being on the Henry Jackson and Elizabeth Glendinning line. Also Harvey descendants of George Harvey and Janet Thomson, Janet being on the Glendinning line through her great-grandparents
- The major change since the 2018 update is the inclusion of the family of William Wightman and Jane Jackson who emigrated from Dumfriesshire to Canada in 1882. Jane, b 6 Jul 1832, is the daughter of Henry Jackson and Elizabeth Glendinning
- In the previous update, new sources had become available including General Record Office of England and Wales birth index with mother's maiden surname and full given names of the child prior to 1916. Also ScotlandsPeople now gives free access to indexes which has allowed years of birth marriage and death to be found in Scotland. Finally the Wills and Probate index for Victoria, Australia is available.
- In the third update for 2016 the family of William Giles and Janet (Jennie) Walton has been added. Janet is the daughter of John Walton and Mary Thomson and a granddaughter of David Thomson and Mary Glendinning. Although Janet was shown in previous versions of this tree, only now has sufficient data been forthcoming to include her descendants. Thanks are due to Kimberley Geisler for the details
- The opportunity has also been taken to include information from the 1939 Register in England and Wales. This is similar to a census and includes full dates of birth and occupations of those recorded.
- In the second update for 2016 published in March, more detail was been added about the Glendinning family in Texas and Oklahoma, the descendants of James Archibald Glendinning, with thanks to Virginia Morris for providing this
- The earlier 2016 update added the family and descendants of Andrew Glendinning b 1811 the son of John Glendinning and Janet Little, with thanks to John and Denise Bonn for providing the part of this family in New Zealand
- Previously added in 2015 was more information on the descendants of Archibald Glendinning and Mary Nichol, in particular the McAdam and Hamilton families and additional information on the descendants of Andrew Wemyss Ritchie and Mary Douglas Fairley
- In 2013 a major update was made to the New Brunswick part of the tree of James Girvan and Mary Glendinning's family with great help of one of their descendants Judy Girvan Murchison.
- Major work has been done on the Borthwick in Prince Edward Island, Canada and in Ontario, with the help of Brenda Davidson, Joanne Kearney, and Fred Nix among others. There is now sufficient evidence to show that not only John and James Borthwick in Prince Edward Island are sons of Christopher Borthwick and Joanna Borthwick from Westerkirk, Dumfriesshire, but also Alexander Borthwick in Bosanquet, Lambton County, Ontario is another son of this couple. Two of their daughters Elizabeth and Janet also emigrated to Ontario.
- On this same Borthwick line, Adam Glover Borthwick b 1838, who previously appeared as a son of James Borthwick has been moved to James's brother John's family as Adam said on his marriage that his parents were John and Catherine.
- Various Alexander Borthwick have been resolved. The one above, son of Christopher and Joanna, emigrated to Ontario. Joanna's brother Captain Alexander Borthwick Royal Navy returned to Dumfriesshire after his naval career and had a family in Ruthwell. Joanna Borthwick's brother Christopher Borthwick and his wife Lilias Glendinning had another Alexander Borthwick, who was a Lieutenant in the East India Company Regiment from 1806, dying in India in 1817.
I would like to acknowledge the help of Greg Walker for Beattie families, Ian Walker for Beattie and Jackson families, Alex Vining for Beattie and Vining descendants, Ann Carson, Brenda Davidson, Joanne Kearney and Fred Nix for Borthwick families, Barry Brown for Bertram and Brown families, Barb Way for Fairley descendants, Judy Girvan Murchison for Girvan descendants, Jennifer Mason Brown for particular help with Eskdalemuir Glendinning and related families, Sandra McCallum for other Scottish Glendinning families, John and Denise Bonn for New Zealand Glendinning families, Virginia Morris for the Texas and Oklahoma Glendinning families, Janice Hamilton and Alison Mossler Wright for Hamilton descendants, Ted and Louraine Doran for Kirkpatrick families, Michael Laidlaw, Bill & Bunty Hart and Hamish Carmichael for Laidlaw descendants, Kris Hulme for Palmer families, Fred Nix for Paterson families, Sharon Taylor for Riddell descendants, Roy Robertson for Robertson families, Frank Sylvester for Sylvester descendants, Annelies Batty and Don Walton for Walton descendants, and Pete Allison, Nolan Baird III, Annette Clark, Myrna Coubrough, Lee Dickson, Debra Dirks, Katharine English, Bob Galbraith, Kimberley Geisler, Bill Glendinning, Scott Glendinning, Doreen Leach, Shelley Love, Donna Miller, Kathryn Robinson, Carolyn Smith, Jane Stewart, Ken Sullivan, Bob Thomson, Don Walton and the late Wayne Thomson for Canadian Glendinning and Thomson descendants, amongst others who have pointed me in the right direction.
While I and the above researchers have verified some of the information from original OPR and SI data from New Register House, in Edinburgh and the equivalent resources in Canada and USA, other data has been gathered from various sources and so it is recommended you obtain verification independently for data that is vital to your research.
This section last updated by Ian A Glendinning on 08 February 2021 using Personal Ancestral File