Descendants of Adam THOMSON and Margaret CRANSTOUN
Married about 1675 in Dumfriesshire, Scotland
Table of Contents
- Surname List
- Name Index
- Other Descendancy Trees
- Ancestry Home Page
- Whole Site Home Page
Second Update for 2021
This section includes all known descendants of Adam Thomson and Margaret Cranstoun with the exception that certain details of living people are omitted and the youngest generations of children are not listed at all.
The first two generations should be treated with caution as they have not been researched fully, but are included so that the individuals who appear in both this tree and the Glendinning one have the same generation number. The details of Andrew Thomson and Janet Scott and their immediate family from Dumfriesshire has been verified from original OPR data from New Register House.
- Further research and records obtained with the help of John and Denise Bonn, now indicate that Janet Little b 1781, daughter of Peter Little and Helen Thomson had a child with John Glendinning in 1811 named Andrew Gledinning. This Glendinning line has therefore been added including the New Zealand Glendinning families. These were always shown on the Glendinning tree, but now also appear here as Thomson descendants.
- With the use of DNA matching, some additional lines have been added and others confirmed
- In the previous 2017 update, only some corrections and additions were made
- In the previous update, new sources had become available including General Record Office of England and Wales birth index with mother's maiden surname and full given names of the child prior to 1916. Also ScotlandsPeople now gives free access to indexes which has allowed years of birth marriage and death to be found in Scotland. Finally the Wills and Probate index for Victoria, Australia is available.
- In the second update for 2016 the family of William Giles and Janet (Jennie) Walton has been added. Janet is the daughter of John Walton and Mary Thomson and a granddaughter of David Thomson and Mary Glendinning. Although Janet was shown in previous versions of this tree, only now has sufficient data been forthcoming to include her descendants. Thanks are due to Kimberley Geisler for the details
- The opportunity has also been taken to include information from the 1939 Register in England and Wales. This is similar to a census and includes full dates of birth and occupations of those recorded.
- The earlier first major update in 2016 added the family of Helen Thomson and Peter Little. Helen b 1757 is the sister of Archibald, Andrew and David Thomson who emigrated to Canada in late 18th century. Over 400 of her descendants are now included here.
- Sad to report that Wayne Thomson, one of the major contributors to the Thomson genealogy, died in Oct 2015. His enthusiasm and willingness to share ideas will be greatly missed.
I would particularly like to thank Pete Allison, Nolan Baird III, Annelies Batty, Annette Clark, Myrna Coubrough, Lee Dickson, Debra Dirks, Katharine English, Bob Galbraith, Kimberley Geisler, Kris Hulme, Donna Miller, Mary Mitchell, Roy Robertson, Kathryn Robinson, Carolyn Smith-Pellettier, Ken Sullivan, Frank Sylvester, Bob Thomson, Don Walton and the late Wayne Thomson for providing their ancestry and also many Canadian Glendinning and Thomson descendants. Also John and Denise Bonn for New Zealand Glendinning families. Other Canadian data has been gathered from various sources, some of which may not be so reliable, so it is recommended you obtain verification independently for data that is vital to your research.
This section last updated by Ian A Glendinning on 22 April 2021 using Personal Ancestral File