Descendants of Duncan DEWAR and Janet KENNEDY
Table of Contents
- Surname List
- Name Index
- Other Descendancy Trees
- Ancestry Home Page
- Whole Site Home Page
Update for 2023
This section includes all known descendants of Duncan Dewar and Janet Kennedy. The only exceptions are that certain details of living people are omitted and the youngest generations of children are not listed at all.
- New census information is now available for the 1921 censuses of Scotland, England and Wales and the 1950 US census, and this has been included. More will be added later
- More newspaper birth, marrriage and death notices have been transcribed and are included in the source pages
- Several newspaper announcements of deaths and obituaries, particularly from Illinois, have been added to this tree.
- The parents of Duncan Dewar born about 1798, who were previously shown proir to the 2019 updates, have been removed as it now seems unlikely that couple, Duncan Dewar and Jannet Cameron are his parents. One of their daughters Ann is the matriarch of a large family in New Zealand and none of their many descendants who have done DNA testing match the people in this tree.
- The previous 2019 update included some refinements and additions from the last 2018 update, but no new Dewar lines. However a completely new tree of the Forrest family is now available. Part of this, from the descendants of the couple John Farquharson Dewar and Jessie Forrest is a duplication of what is here, but the Forrest tree shows more of Jessie Forrest's cousins and distant relations.
- The fourth 2017 update included further details on two of John Farquharson Dewar and Jessie Forrest's daughters, Jessie Dewar who married Jack Southern and Ann Forrest Dewar who married Robert Cumming.
- The opportunity has also been taken in this update to include source information called Statutory Index Scotland. This data gives years and place of BMD from 1855 onwards from the indexes, but not the full details that are available in Statutory Register Scotland where I have copies of the full records. This makes the sources for BMD shown on these pages similar for Scottish and English indexes.
- The third 2017 update was a major one as it included the descendants of three more of Duncan Dewar and Janet Kennedy's children, namely Margaret who married James Neilson King, Jane (not shown at all in previous versions) who married Thomas Young, and Jessie who married William Thomson.
- In addition, the family of John Farquharson Dewar and Jessie Forrest's oldest daughter Jane White Dewar is now included once it was found she had emigrated to USA and married John Agnew. Thanks due to B Moore and family for providing the first clues to this line.
- In the first update for 2017, new sources had become available including General Record Office of England and Wales birth index with mother's maiden surname and full given names of the child prior to 1916. Also ScotlandsPeople now gives free access to indexes which has allowed years of birth marriage and death to be found in Scotland. Finally the Wills and Probate index for Victoria, Australia is available.
- In the previous update the opportunity was taken to include information from the 1939 Register in England and Wales. This is similar to a census and includes full dates of birth and occupations of those recorded.
- Other minor refinements have been made since the last update, with some newspaper announcements and articles added
- In the 2015 update a small number of new people were added, some clarification of the Dewar in Lancashire, England was made and military records of Dewar in Illinois were sourced
I would like to thank B Moore and family, for getting in touch with me, and to acknowledge their help for filling in some of the detail on the Dewars of United States and sharing their research on these Dewar familes.
While I have verified some of the information from original Parish Records and Statutory Registers in Scotland and censuses in UK and USA, other data has been gathered from various sources and so it is recommended you obtain verification independently for data that is vital to your research.
This section last updated by Ian A Glendinning on 26 April 2023 using Personal Ancestral File